Apply to Be an Executive Director
Unlock Your Potential and Make a Lasting Impact on Organizations
Interim Executive Director Job Description
This is a remote position.
vChief is searching for independent consultants interested in providing Executive Director services to our clients. This work is hourly for each client, between 80 – 120+ hours per month. Our clients are incredibly varied, from CEOs & COOs, to small business owners, to nonprofit executive directors, to entrepreneurs, to leaders in government and academia. We are seeking self-driven and highly competent Executive Directors who would be responsible for overseeing the administration, fund development, managing teams through layers to achieve results, maintain high team engagement and through a DEI lens, programs and strategic planning of a
non-profit organization. Qualified candidates are experienced executive leaders with exceptional stewardship and strategic planning skills that will aid nonprofits in achieving their mission and
objectives, maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, achieving organizational goals, and maintaining sound financial practices.
Founded in 2016, vChief is focused on connecting business leaders with fractional and interim executives and support to meet their unique needs. We recruit, select and vet proven subject matter professionals with experience spanning from, but not limited to, HR, business operations, project management, strategy, board management, communications/marketing and development. vChief provides fractional and interim services to leaders and executives at
start-ups, small and medium businesses, non-profits and education based organizations. This support model is perfect for leaders who need to focus on large strategic initiatives and maximize their impact across the full organization, but don’t need permanent or full-time
capacity. Bottom line – Fractional executives and supporters are there to get the job done, providing the benefits of specialization and experience to meet a variety of needs.
Who You Are
Does the description below align with your professional superpowers and past accomplishments? If so, we encourage you to apply!
You Are a Seasoned Executive Leader. You have tenure and gravitas as an executive leader which is backed with a range of experiences in different industries, geographies and/or situations. Your charge as an executive has resulted in transformational results and outcomesfor the company – leaving situations better than when you took the lead. You are able to defend your decisions rooted in best practices, data, and previous results from your experience in industry. You have earned a reputation as a thoughtful and savvy communicator and are skilled at influencing others to get work done through others.
You Are a Stabilizer of Chaos. Often Executive Directors are parachuting into situations where the direction of the company is questioned or unclear by staff and other stakeholders. You must quickly diagnose the situation and culture surrounding those circumstances, build allyship, and calm reservations internally and externally about as you work to bring others along the new direction. Experience in building trust amongst different stakeholders and across lines of difference will be key to this competency.
You Are a Change Agent. You are a catalyst for change management – able to promote, champion, enable and support an organization’s new or renewed direction on initiatives and strategies. You are able to build rapport quickly, gain insightful feedback and incorporate within the implementation process all with the aim of turning that transition and transformation into anopportunity for growth. You hold a passion for people and process. A trusted confidant with an ‘open door policy’; equipped at building trust with a remote workforce.You are a forward-thinking people leader passionate about an experience that attracts and retains employees where they can work, develop, and thrive. Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Responsibilities Ranges From (not limited to):
- Provide management to staff and leadership to the organization that aligns with the company’s business plan and overall strategic vision.
- Foster strong working relationships with the Board and collaborate to provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary (e.g. strategic plan progress, financial health, opportunities and threats to organization) for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Responsible for the organization’s overall operations, including finances, fund development, human resources, and marketing
- Overseeing the creation and managing budgets for programs and services provided by
- Works with other c-level executives on budgeting, forecasting and resource allocation programs
- Monitoring fundraising activities and ensuring that goals are met
- Identifying and evaluating risks to the organization’s people (volunteers, staff, interns, managers and directors), property, finances, goodwill, and image
- Overseeing the implementation of new programs and initiatives while continuing to support existing programs
- Evaluating performance of staff members and making recommendations for promotions or terminations based on performance standards set by the organization
- Hiring and offboarding employees as necessary to ensure effective operation of the organization
Education & Prior Experience:
- Prior CEO, Executive Director, or COO experience required
- Minimum of 12 years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required; MBA, MPA preferred
- Strong history of promotions and progression in roles with demonstrable results
Knowledge, Skills & Mindsets:
- Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Experience building an equitable and inclusive organizational culture.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Compensation for this role is on a contract basis. We offer a starting flat rate of $115 per hour and possibility of annual increases and bonuses based on performance and dependent business performance.
Contractors are required to have an LLC and carry liability insurance.
You may be interested and qualified for more than one position. In the application process, we make it easy for you to apply for multiple positions.
Interested in More than One Position?
Our application process makes it easy to apply for multiple vChief positions simultaneously.
Take Control of Your Career
Make an Impact Without Going Full-Time
Focus on high-value, strategic work that drives tangible results at notable organizations. Leverage your skills and experience outside the confines of a 9-to-5.
Find Fulfillment Through Flexibility
Work remotely from anywhere with flexible hours and the freedom to vary your hours seasonally according to your availability. Build your career around your life to bring your best self to every pursuit.
Upskill, Reskill, or Test Drive a New Field
Find work that leaves you energized and fulfilled with our detailed, individualized talent matching process. Return to the workforce after a break, hone new skills, or gain exposure to new opportunities without a long-term commitment. We take great care to ensure that all assignments are mutually beneficial to our clients and our talent.
Achieve Your Goals Faster
Achieve your next career milestone faster by letting us handle the logistics. Our diverse and extensive pool of clients eliminates the need for independent business development, providing employment opportunities that match your goals. And our billing terms ensure you get paid fast, via ACH, without the hassle of invoicing individual clients.