Apply to Be a Chief Operating Officer
Transform Your Life Personally & Professionally
Chief Operating Officer Job Description
This is a remote position.
vChief is searching for independent consultants interested in providing Chief Operating Officer services to our clients. This work is hourly for each client, between 20 – 120+ hours per month, with average length of per engagement between 3- 9 months. Our clients are incredibly varied, from CEOs, to small business owners, t nonprofit executive directors, to entrepreneurs, to leaders in government and academia. The COO is the right hand of the CEO actualizing and executing on the long-term business plans of the organization. Our chiefs will engage and support our clients to produce deliverables and results that allow that organization to improve their business performance.
Founded in 2016, vChief is focused on connecting business leaders with fractional and interim executives and support to meet their unique needs. We recruit, select and vet proven subject matter professionals with experience spanning from, but not limited to, HR, business operations, project management, strategy, board management, communications/marketing and development. vChief provides fractional and interim services to leaders and executives at start-ups, small and medium businesses, non-profits and education based organizations. This support model is perfect for leaders who need to focus on large strategic initiatives and maximize their impact across the full organization, but don’t need permanent or full-time capacity. Bottom line – Fractional executives and supporters are there to get the job done, providing the benefits of specialization and experience to meet a variety of needs.
Who You Are
Does the description below align with your professional superpowers and past accomplishments? If so, we encourage you to apply!
You Are a First-Class Communicator. You know how to deliver information clearly and efficiently in a variety of formats. In your interactions with clients, you take time to deeply understand their vision and expectations, align on a vision for success, and determine how you’ll communicate as you make progress toward your goals. You keep others informed at the right level on an ongoing basis as you manage projects.
You Improve Everything You Touch. You have experience and knack for process improvement by identifying waste or unnecessary work that will ultimately free up resources. You have led and executed on removing bottlenecks, overproduction, and poor prioritization will help create a culture of continuous improvement. By monitoring key metrics you understand if goals have been met and improvements are effective.
You Are a Change Agent. You are a catalyst for change management – able to promote, champion, enable and support an organization’s new or renewed direction on initiatives and strategies. You are able to gain feedback and incorporate within the implementation process
You Are a Micro and Macro Thinker & Executer. You bring creativity and fresh ideas, that are supported by best practices and strong data analytics, to complex focused on long term objectives and outcomes while bringing structure and a detailed oriented approach to see those ideas into fruition.
You Are An Agile Performer. As you monitor progress toward your goals, you shift nimbly to address changes or challenges that arise. You are energized by finding a path forward in situations where it isn’t always immediately clear or there is ambiguity in aspects of the
project–in other words, you’re solutions-oriented in your approach to supporting clients. Additionally you are able to recognize others’ discomfort and model productive behaviors, provide information, or share perspective to limit anxiety and maintain positive engagement levels.
Responsibilities Ranges From (not limited to):
- Provide management to staff and leadership to the organization that aligns with the company’s business plan and overall strategic vision.
- Operationalize strategic vision and plans and provide the bridge from the Board and/or CEO to the rest of the organization.
- Create effective measurement tools to gauge the efficiency and effectiveness of internaland external processes.
- Provide accurate and timely reports outlining the operational condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Work closely with the senior management team to create, implement and roll out plans for operational processes, internal infrastructures, reporting systems and company policies all designed to foster growth, profitably and efficiencies within the company.
- Works with other c-level executives on budgeting, forecasting and resource allocation programs.
Education & Prior Experience:
- COO/VP Ops experience required
- Minimum of 12 years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required; MBA preferred
- Relevant professional certifications preferred (eg. Six Sigma, PMP)
- Strong history of promotions and progression in roles with demonstrable results
Knowledge, Skills & Mindsets:
- In-depth knowledge of different business functions such as, but limited to, HR, finance, fundraising, marketing, IT/business automation, business development, etc.
- Good knowledge of data analysis and KPIs
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Great communication and presentation skills
Compensation for this role is on a contract basis. We offer a starting flat rate of $115 per hour and possibility of annual increases and bonuses based on performance and dependent business performance. Contractors are required to have an LLC and carry liability insurance.
You may be interested and qualified for more than one position. In the application process, we make it easy for you to apply for multiple positions.
Interested in More than One Position?
Our application process makes it easy to apply for multiple vChief positions simultaneously.
Take Control of Your Career
Make an Impact Without Going Full-Time
Focus on high-value, strategic work that drives tangible results at notable organizations. Leverage your skills and experience outside the confines of a 9-to-5.
Find Fulfillment Through Flexibility
Work remotely from anywhere with flexible hours and the freedom to vary your hours seasonally according to your availability. Build your career around your life to bring your best self to every pursuit.
Upskill, Reskill, or Test Drive a New Field
Find work that leaves you energized and fulfilled with our detailed, individualized talent matching process. Return to the workforce after a break, hone new skills, or gain exposure to new opportunities without a long-term commitment. We take great care to ensure that all assignments are mutually beneficial to our clients and our talent.
Achieve Your Goals Faster
Achieve your next career milestone faster by letting us handle the logistics. Our diverse and extensive pool of clients eliminates the need for independent business development, providing employment opportunities that match your goals. And our billing terms ensure you get paid fast, via ACH, without the hassle of invoicing individual clients.