Apply to Be an Associate Chief of Staff
Reach New Personal & Professional Horizons
Associate Chief of Staff Job Description
This is a remote position.
We are searching for independent consultants interested in providing operational capacity services to our clients. This work is largely part-time for each client, usually between 20-120+ hours per month, typically averaging 3-9 months. Our clients are incredibly varied, from CEOs and COOs, to small business owners, to nonprofit executive directors, to entrepreneurs, to leaders in government and academia. An Associate Chief of Staff spearheads and oversees initiatives, projects, and/or programs, ensuring it adheres to deadlines and budgets. Among their responsibilities include managing staff and timelines, setting objectives and guidelines, monitoring the progress of projects, and producing progress reports for the executives. Should there be any issues and concerns, it is essential to resolve them promptly and efficiently.
Founded in 2016, vChief is focused on connecting business leaders with fractional and interim executives and support to meet their unique needs. We recruit, select and vet proven subject matter professionals with experience spanning from, but not limited to, HR, business operations, project management, strategy, board management, communications/marketing and development. vChief provides fractional and interim services to leaders and executives at start-ups, small and medium businesses, non-profits and education-based organizations. This support model is perfect for leaders who need to focus on large strategic initiatives and maximize their impact across the full organization, but don’t need permanent or full-time capacity. Bottom line – Fractional executives and supporters are there to get the job done, providing the benefits of specialization and experience to meet a variety of needs.
Who You Are
Does the description below align with your professional superpowers and past accomplishments? If so, we encourage you to apply!
You Are a Project Manager. You find energy in initiating, executing, and completing projects using skills sets in project management you have acquired in your career. Special attention to detail has to be given to ensure that all project materials and deliverables are completed on time while also having the ability to resolve issues and adapt their projects creatively to avoid mishaps and losses.
You Are An Effective Communicator. You have sound communication and interpersonal skills to articulate your thoughts, requirements, deliverables, and expectations to team members, vendors, and stakeholders. You take special care around tone, format, and method of communication to ensure the audience is equipped to respond properly and you are able to gain the context/outcome you sought efficiently.
Organization is Your Middle Name. In order to be effective in this capacity, one must possess exceptional organizational skills that enable you to manage different tasks, and use your time, energy, strength, mental capacity, physical space, etc. effectively and efficiently in order to achieve the desired outcomes for your client.
You Are Able to Navigate Through Ambiguity. In this capacity, you will parachute into scenarios where context or information may not be available or incomplete and will be tasked to act and/or overcome these challenges to achieve a task or project outcome. You are someone who thrives and accepts that change and uncertainty are a normal part of the work environment, initiates action based on available information, even when the final outcome is not clearly defined, and can shift gears when presented with new information, priorities, and/or direction.
- Complete a comprehensive needs assessment with new clients to identify their unique goals and challenges, and create and oversee execution of a plan to address them
- Providing tactical support to implement ideas
- Providing support and oversight for special projects and initiatives
- Working with leadership to deliver, monitor and communicate progress towards goals
- Planning, coordinating, and leading meetings, events and workshops
- Coordinating activities with outside vendors and contractors to ensure that all tasks are completed on time
- Providing support to team members during the project life cycle, including managing resources such as human capital, materials, equipment, and information
- Identifying potential problems with projects and recommending solutions to management
- Preparing reports on project status, including time tracking and billing information
Education & Prior Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience; typical range of total professional experience is between 5-11 years
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; MBA, MPA, or other professional degree a plus
- Experience in finance, management consulting, HR, strategy, operations, and/or project management roles
- History of promotions and progression in roles with demonstrable strong results
Knowledge, Skills & Mindsets:
- Strong project management and problem-solving skills required
- Strong client focus – continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction and improve processes
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Workspace
- Ability to accept and implement constructive feedback
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail, documentation, and reporting
- You personally exemplify vChief’s core values
Compensation for this role is on a contract basis. We offer a flat rate of $60 per hour and bonus eligibility based on successful client engagements and opportunity to move to Chief of Staff with experience. Associate Chief of Staff consultants in our talent pool are contractors and receive a 1099 form each year for tax purposes.
Contractors are required to have an LLC and carry liability insurance.
You may be interested and qualified for more than one position. In the application process, we make it easy for you to apply for multiple positions.
Interested in More than One Position?
Our application process makes it easy to apply for multiple vChief positions simultaneously.
Take Control of Your Career
Make an Impact Without Going Full-Time
Focus on high-value, strategic work that drives tangible results at notable organizations. Leverage your skills and experience outside the confines of a 9-to-5.
Find Fulfillment Through Flexibility
Work remotely from anywhere with flexible hours and the freedom to vary your hours seasonally according to your availability. Build your career around your life to bring your best self to every pursuit.
Upskill, Reskill, or Test Drive a New Field
Find work that leaves you energized and fulfilled with our detailed, individualized talent matching process. Return to the workforce after a break, hone new skills, or gain exposure to new opportunities without a long-term commitment. We take great care to ensure that all assignments are mutually beneficial to our clients and our talent.
Achieve Your Goals Faster
Achieve your next career milestone faster by letting us handle the logistics. Our diverse and extensive pool of clients eliminates the need for independent business development, providing employment opportunities that match your goals. And our billing terms ensure you get paid fast, via ACH, without the hassle of invoicing individual clients.